Sunday, December 21, 2014

Ariel Inspired Dapper Dress

I really wanna go to Disney's Dapper Day (October 3rd, 2015, ) for my 21st birthday; yupp.. 100% partying like the disney fan-girl I am with all the other princesses :P I've really gotten into swing dancing lately and a lot of the 20s era things, so I thought it'd be perfect to make an Ariel dress with a little bit of everything and a bit of a pinup touch to it. I've never really designed a dress, so its a bit rough, but I love it anyways:
 
 
I've got the finger waves going on, the peter pan collar rimmed with small pearls, a bow at the waist with a shell in the middle, the kick pleats with a different color inside, the almost-sleeve-but-not-really-quite-a-sleeve-but-it-still-is-a-sleeve thing going on, and most importantly.. Ariel's colors!
 (I haven't decided on the shoes yet)

 I went to JoAnn Fabrics to check out what kind of fabric I should use and what colors (realistically) they had, lucky enough, they had wonderfully perfect colors that matched the Ariel look I was going for.



The purple and Jade look a little darker than they actually are, but the above pictures are pretty accurate
 
I didn't really wanna make the blue-green part plain, but it's what they had, Ill be on the lookout for a pattern that would look good, and I'll keep updating my dress progress as I go ^.^

 
--------Update: 12/28/14---------
New addition to the fabric family of options!!
Look at this beauty!! ♥♥♥ Its almost perfect! (I think) :P


When out under the jade fabric, it makes it look a lot darker, but its sooo pretty! I guess we'll have to see.
 
By the way, Jo Ann fabrics gives away free samples of whatever fabric you want (max. 2 per person), so that might help ;)
 
--------Update 1/9/2015--------
 
First attempt at curling iron finger waves, not too bad for the first time with no hairspray :)
 
Got the instructions from here.. but its hard doing it all on your own!

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment