Sunday, July 20, 2014

UPDATE: Polka Dot Dress

I got suuuper tired of making a dress all to have it keep slipping down because something was wrong with the bust! I had to fix it so I thought it would be a good idea to fix it with adding sleeves or having it hold up with my shoulders somehow. But other than adding that, I think i finally found a way to fix the non-fitting bust problem. I looked through a few blogs but nobody really had a tutorial on ho to fix that for "well-endowed" women, and I guess it really doesnt help that I'm not posting a tutorial either...(mainly because I forgot to take steps of the process) D:

But I did find a pretty good idea! Since I took this dress from a pattern ( The polka dot part from McCall's M6646 and the lace part from McCall's M6838), someone said that it helps to copy the pattern onto muslin first. I really haven't tried that yet, and even though the extra work would be tedious, I think it's well worth it when the problem keeps popping up and you don't want to ruin the actual fabric you're using for the dress. Once you would copy the pattern onto the muslin, you can adjust it, re-sew it, make it fit you PERFECTLY, and then use what you altered as a new form-fitted pattern and you would have no problems when youre working on a dress (or whatsoever it may be).

However, for my dress's bust, if you can see here in this picture, it looks kinda tight, like its too flatly shaped for boobs. The top part doesn't form well above the bust and around the waist its very loose and just doesn't that great. I happened to notice all this after I wore it for an entire night :P
 
 
Now I learned how to fix that! I kind of trial-and-errored it though, I made the bust MUCH rounder and since I already had cut the fabric, I just made the seam allowances smaller. I used some chalk and pins to draw out and fit it. Ultimately, its tighter and better fitted, I wish I had taken pictures though :(
 
 
But this is my newer dress now, I bought 1/2 a yard of lace for the top and lace in one long strip for the bottom of the skirt. And this is the result:
 

It's soooo much better fitting, it complements curves (which is what every girl wants in a dress), and it stays up so theres no more pulling up a dress while moving aroundlike every normal human being does (because we cant be expected to just sit there and look pretty without moving an inch all day)!


Here's a side view to see where it's tighter and where I extended the stiches a bit (waist & bust)
Hope you like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment